Sep 3, 2007

50 ways to crash your Monte

MIDNIGHT CLUB: ATLANTA


I've got my Monte Carlo floored, smoking my way through downtown Atlanta. I'm flying down a wide boulevard with Arth hot on my tail. I'm sweaving around the road like a three-day drunk to keep him from passing or drafting me. To no avail: Arth hits me with a powerup and I turn into a block of ice. A giant, 4,000 pound block of ice. Skidding straight for a gas station at 120 mph.

This was one of the Zen video game moments where time slows down. I can't stop, I can't steer, and even if I could, Arth iis right there to smash me into the approaching station of death. The fact that he's tailgating me gives a nice symmetry to what happens next.

Just before the ice cube wears off, I slide into a gas pump. The explosion slams my car into the station's roof, but it also blows Arth back into the street. Both of our vehicles are wrecked, and we spend the next few minutes clearing out the rest of the gas pumps by simply running over them.

Special thanks to Angus for being the first to harness the dark power of gas stations.

No comments: