Nov 18, 2007

Prey

Imaginative corridor-shooter. Worth: $15
based on Xbox 360 retail

I've been playing shooters for 15 years, but I never got to walk on walls and ceilings before.
This game is pretty wacked, but it's full of action-packed shooting and innovative level designs and puzzles. Like all corridor shooters however, there's only one way to play it so replay value is nil.

The controls are tight and allow you to manage eight weapons, most with secondary fire functions. The graphics are great, as are the sounds. But what makes this game worth playing are the gravity effects. I don't want to give away too much, but the designers really took advantage of having a game in a zero-G spaceship. The alien ship has lots of gravity generators that flip you from the floor to the wall, or to the ceiling. The ship also features gravity-walkways that allow you to walk all over the place. It's so well done I got a little vertigo sometimes. Without this gravity effect, this game would be totally boring. With it, it was really fun.

I picked this up for $15, and I'd say it was worth it. I'll return it right away so I can get my trade-in bucks. If I were a renting type of person, I'd say this was a great rental.

No comments: