Nov 25, 2007

Orange Box on 360

What's not in my Kool-Aid? Worth: $0
based on Xbox 360 demo of HL2 EP2, and Xbox demo of HL2

Picture? Over-rated garbage like Half-Life 2 doesn't get no stinking picture!
This game sucks! I have no idea why this game is so highly rated. It's really linear, the gravity gun bites, and the graphics are average. Everybody talks about Half-Life 2 like it's the greatest game they ever played, but this just makes me think they haven't played anything else.

Both HL2 demos I've tried only give you the "Gravity Gun" that grabs things like chairs, boulders, saw blades, and propane tanks and the shoots them wherever you aim it. It sounds ok, I guess, but it plays really tediously. I can tell there's an epic story, but I've also read that these games are really long. The idea of spending two weeks picking up chairs and throwing them at mutants sounds pretty boring to me.

The other games in this package look like scraps from the floor, based on videos and reviews I've checked out. People are calling it the greatest video game value ever, but I wouldn't play the Orange Box if you gave it to me.

UPDATE: Nov 28, 2007
My buddy Wolf was surprised that I disliked HL2 so much, so he went and checked out the demo. His verdict is that the demo is a poor representation of the game, being limited to really dumb enemies, one gun, and a short, uninteresting sequence. He's played HL2 on his PC and contends it's the best FPS he's ever played.

No comments: