Dec 20, 2008

Overlord

Get in touch with your inner ###hole. Worth: $12
based on 360 retail

OverlordFor bossy people of all ages.
Control a platoon of minions who obey your every command. Sounds great, right? It is, kind of.

GRAPHICS, MUSIC
The game looks great, sounds great, all that good stuff. Honestly, I take this for granted now, but it stills bears mentioning because I'm sure it's hard to do.

CONTROLLER
Maneuvering a squad of minions is mapped to your controller in a way that mostly makes sense and is easy to use. It's just that controlling a horde of minions is so different from every other game that it takes a while to get the hang of it. Then if I go off and play some other game I have to re-remember how to play Overlord.

MAPS
There is something about the maps that make them impossible to remember where to go. They're like Halo 2's difficult-to-remember maps gone to hell. I'm lost - all the time! Even the GamerGal can't figure them out, and she has a preternatural sense of direction.

MINIONS
They're hilariously enthusiastic. Vicious and utterly without fear, they _are_ the game.

OVERALL
For some reason, I just can't stay with this game. It's too hard, and I spend so much time lost that it becomes an exercise in frustration. As good as this game seems to be, I can always think of something else I'd rather do instead.

No comments: