Jul 1, 2008

June 2008 Demo Throwdown

Much big summer demo happy fun time.
based on 360 demos

LIJ
After a long spring lull, there are suddenly a bunch of demos to try out. Here's what they're worth.

Lego Indiana Jones blah blah. Worth: $0
Same great mechanics as LSW:CS. Exact. Same. Mechanics. (Well, the whip is new.) This reskin of the fabulous Lego Star Wars games is fun, but limited. Instead of star ships and far-off planets you play on earth. (zzz) The game's main weakness is instantly apparent: if you ain't Indy, you ain't nobody. The supporting characters here are nowhere near as cool and interesting as the supporting characters from Star Wars. It's still fun, but since I'm kinda burned out on LSW:CS, I'll wait until mid-2018 to pick this up.

Top Spin 3. Worth: $0
I hate sports games, and this is no exception. Too bad, because I love tennis. This game isn't tennis though, it's non-intuitive button-crushing.

Dark Sector. Worth: $15 (longer review)
Wow, this game looks freakin' amazing. The pointy boomerang is fresh and nasty. Your character, the environment, the bad guys, everything looks wicked cool. I have no sense of the story (alien metallic virus-based super powers uh-huh yeah what?) but I'm intrigued by the atmosphere and unique weapon.

Bad Company. Worth: $5
Strike one: it's a great-looking FPS that isn't Halo 3. Strike two: the controls are wacked and uncustomizable. Strike three: well, there is no strike three, this is a decent game. I can't play it because it'd screw up my Halo playing (the controls are totally different). I also won't bother with this game because I already played it back in 1995 when it was called Duke Nukem.

No comments: